MARYSVILLE (TNS) -- A second student has died after a freshman's shooting rampage Friday at Marysville-Pilchuck High School.

Gia Soriano, 14, died Sunday night at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, Wash., a hospital official announced at a news conference. She had been hospitalized in critical condition since the shooting.

Dr. Joanne Roberts, chief medical officer for the hospital, read a short statement written by Gia's family:

"We are devastated by this senseless tragedy. Gia is our beautiful daughter, and words cannot express how much we will miss her. We've made the decision to donate Gia's organs so that others may benefit. Our daughter was loving, kind, and this gift honors her life."

The freshman was one of five students shot in the Marysville-Pilchuck cafeteria Friday morning by freshman Jaylen Fryberg, who then fatally turned the handgun on himself. Zoe Galasso was pronounced dead the day of the shooting, which has left the Marysville community reeling.

Three other victims remain hospitalized.

The announcement of Gia's death came on the same day Marysville-Pilchuck students and community members gathered to grieve and try to make sense of the shootings by Fryberg, a member of the freshman football team who had recently been named a homecoming prince.

In one gathering, 1,000 or so students and adults crowded into a high-school gymnasium Sunday afternoon in the school gymnasium.

Among those who filled the bleachers was Victoria Clavijo, 15, a sophomore looking very much the typical teen in bluej eans.

Victoria wiped her eyes.

"I knew some of them," she said of the victims. "I cry every day. I have nightmares. We're all together, and then ... they just disappear."

The adults who had lined up to talk at the event -- the mayor, the school-district superintendent, the police chief and others -- repeated a similar message: The community would get through the tragedy; it wouldn't be easy, but they would get through it.

But hearing and seeing Victoria -- and the many like her -- people couldn't help but wonder how deep the emotional damage had gone and how long it would last.

She dug into her purse and found a box of Kleenex. She was using her hands to wipe her tears; the tissues were for her mom, sitting nearby.

Three wounded students remained hospitalized in Everett and Seattle.

Shaylee Chuckulnaskit, 14, was in critical condition at Providence Regional Medical Center. Hospital officials said Sunday she was "receiving ongoing, continual monitoring and care."

Andrew Fryberg, 15, was in critical condition in the intensive-care unit at Seattle's Harborview Medical Center, hospital spokeswoman Susan Gregg wrote in a news release.

The third injured teen, Nate Hatch, 14, was also in Harborview's intensive-care unit but his condition was improving, according to Gregg. He was listed in serious condition in the hospital's trauma center.

The Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office has not released the name of the girl killed in the rampage, but she was identified as Zoe Galasso by a family friend.

Investigators are still searching for a motive for the shooting. On Sunday, the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office released no new information on the investigation.

The meeting in the school gym offered students a chance to split into smaller groups so they could talk about their feelings with counselors. The parents did the same, in another room.

One of those counselors was Randy Vendiola, there with his wife, Monica. They're both Native Americans, and Monica is a member of the Tulalip Tribes, just like Jaylen Fryberg and several of the victims.

Randy Vendiola said he knew Fryberg's family.

"He was a hunter. He provided for his family: elk, deer," he said. "He was a fisherman. He led ceremonies."

And, what happened?

"Only God knows. Only in the U.S. do we see children shooting other children. In Russia, it's terrorists. Here, kids."

Sophomore J.T. Torrey, 16, was there with his parents, James and Debby Torrey. J.T. said he had just finished his English class when he heard gunshots. He began running outside, and then finally sought safety in a classroom.

J.T. said what one hears a lot in these interviews: "I never thought it'd be at my school."

With classes canceled at Marysville-Pilchuck for the week, J.T. looked ahead to the following week when the school reopens.

"I probably won't go to that cafeteria for the rest of the year. It'd be eerie to go back."

With the other Marysville School District schools open this week, Marysville police announced Sunday night they would increase officer presence at the other schools so students and staff members can feel safe.

Earlier, on Sunday morning, pastors at The Grove Church in Marysville spoke of shaken beliefs. Some 300 to 400 people had shown up at 9 a.m. for the first of four Sunday services to focus on the shootings.

Senior associate pastor Andrew Munoz recounted how he felt at the death of his father seven years ago. "Why would you do this? I doubted God," he said.

The answer, he told the parishioners, was that Jesus Christ was telling them, "I want you to turn to me. I'm familiar with pain, so I can help you with your pain."

Among those attending were Angelica Lind, 34; her husband, Matt Lind, 37; and their daughter, Elise, 4, of Lake Stevens.

Angelica is a graduate of Marysville-Pilchuck and said she could picture exactly where in the cafeteria the shooting took place.

She still is trying to deal with the news.

"That's the way it is now, all messed up," she said about what has become regular news about school shootings.

Angelica raised her hand in praise at the message from Munoz.

She hugged her daughter.

"It'll take time," she said.