By MIKE CORN
Hays firefighters made quick work of what initially was reported as a possible structure fire Wednesday afternoon.
Instead, said Hays Fire Capt. Chris Stegman, all they found was a "minor electrical fire" that was confined to the light fixture. He said there was "very little damage" as a result.
A light ballast apparently malfunctioned, resulting in smoke.
Still, firefighters armed with equipment went inside to make sure the fire hadn't spread to any other part of the building.
"They did the right thing," Stegman said of the people working inside the building. "They called 911, and then they shut off the power.
The fire was reported at 2:06 p.m. at 2508 Vine. Nineteen firefighters in four trucks responded to the report. They were joined by police officers and Ellis County Emergency Medical Services.
On arrival, firefighters found what had been an electrical fire in a ceiling light fixture in a commercial building. The fire was out on their arrival.
Stegman said it's important to immediately call 911 and get the fire department on the way rather than taking the time to either fight the fire or shut off the electricity.
That can be done after calling in the fire.
That way, he said, the fire department already is on the way in the event the fire spreads.