Kansas producers who suffered excessive livestock death losses and grazing or feed losses due to recent wildfires may be eligible for disaster assistance programs through the USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA). The most important thing for producers to do at this time is to record all pertinent information regarding these livestock and feed losses, including photographs.

The FSA can assist farmers and ranchers who lost livestock, grazing land, fences or eligible trees, bushes and vines as a result of a natural disaster. The FSA administers a suite of safety-net programs to help producers recover from eligible losses, including the Livestock Indemnity Program and the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program.

The Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP) offers payments to eligible producers for livestock death losses in excess of normal mortality due to adverse weather, and the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP) provides emergency relief for losses due to feed or water shortages, disease, adverse weather or other conditions that are not adequately addressed by other disaster programs.

Also, producers in counties that receive a primary or contiguous disaster designation are eligible for low-interest emergency loans to help them recover from production and physical losses. Compensation is also available to producers who purchased coverage through the Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program, which protects non-insurable crops (including native grass for grazing) against natural disasters that result in lower yields, crop losses or prevented planting.

For more details about these and other programs, visit www.fsa.usda.gov/disaster or contact your local FSA office.