Rachael Gray The Garden City Telegram, Kan. (MCT) The first day of spring in southwest Kansas won't see any much-needed precipitation, but more snow could be on its way this weekend. Farmers have been in fields this week doing preventative weed treatments and spraying fertilizer onto wheat. Ryan Kennedy, fertilizer sales manager for Garden City Co-op, said Tuesday all the wheat in the area is up and looks good so far. "In my opinion, it looks good. It's short on moisture profile, but I think it has good potential as long as we get more moisture. If we get adequate rainfall this spring, we could get a good crop," he said. Kennedy said he's concerned with wheat breaking dormancy, starting to grow and then running out of moisture. "There's no moisture in the soil to support it," he said. He did say the crop looks better than it has in the past year or two. "The stands are good, the overall crop health looks good, but we need moisture," he said. Mary Knapp, state climatologist, said there's a chance for fields to soak up that moisture this weekend. But overall, the drought likely will persist this spring, at least until May. "There's a chance for significant snow this weekend. But it doesn't say how much snow. And it's just a 40 percent chance," she said. Heavy and drifting snow is possible, she said. Knapp said so far this year southwest division of Kansas is behind on moisture. What's helping is that temperatures are not 13 degrees above normal like they were this time last year. But the three-month forecast does call for above average temperatures for the area, with below average precipitation statewide. "You have to go all the way into eastern Missouri to get into areas of above average precipitation," she said. So far for March, Garden City has received 0.06 inches of precipitation, when 1.38 inches is normal. "It's well below what you could expect for March, but we'll take all the moisture we can get," she said. From September 2012 to March 18, the southwest Kansas division has received 4.88 inches when 6.09 inches is normal. From April 2012 to March 18, the area received 66 percent of normal precipitation. Although southwest Kansas had snow in the winter, the precipitation doesn't make up for the larger-expected amounts in March. "Having a wet January doesn't replace a dry March," she said. Farmers can expect a little relief in the lower temperatures. "Last year we were 13 degrees above average. That puts more demand on available water supply. Unfortunately, the drought will persist through at least May," she said. The National Weather Service in Dodge City forecasts today as breezy with a high around 60 degrees. Thursday brings a slight chance of precipitation with rain possibilities at 20 percent. Thursday night the rain could turn into sleet, with a 40 percent chance of snow and sleet and lows around 30 degrees. Friday's forecast holds a 20 percent chance of snow and sleet and a high of 49 degrees. Friday night, the chance for rain and snow is 30 percent with lows around 30 degrees. Saturday brings the best chance for snow at 50 percent with a high of 40 degrees. The chance for snow Saturday night is 40 percent with lows of 24 degrees.