PLAINVILLE — Rooks County officials responded to two grass fires Monday, though both were relatively small and contained quickly, said Butch Post, the county’s emergency management coordinator.
The first fire was reported approximately 5 miles west of Stockton and was contained quickly, burning less than an acre. It originated near a cattle corral, and could have started from use of a pickup or other farm equipment, but the cause is not certain, Post said.
A second fire was reported at 10 p.m. southwest of Plainville along a county road. That one likely was caused by a vehicle passenger tossing a cigarette butt, he said.
Approximately 3 to 5 acres were burned, and fire crews departed the scene by midnight.
“We got really lucky last night,” Post said. “At least the wind had gone down a bit before we got on the one in Plainville.”
No firefighters were injured in either fire.
The National Weather Service has issued a warning of “catastrophic” fire danger for much of the region today due to low humidity and strong wind gusts. Rooks County has issued a burn ban that will remain in effect until further notice.