For yet a third-straight match, the Fort Hays State women's soccer team went to extra time with its opponent. After two consecutive draws, the Tigers came out on top as Darby Hirsch netted an early overtime goal off an assist from Cailey Perkins to seal a 1-0 non-conference win over Nebraska-Kearney.

With the tie, the Tigers even out to 2-2-2 overall, while the Lopers are now 2-4 overall.

On a breezy day in Hays, both teams had to fight against the elements. The Tigers used the advantage of the wind at their back as they attempted 14 shots compared to just five from the Lopers. In the first 45 minutes, Nebraska-Kearney held the shot advantage during the only period it had the favor of the wind as they outshot the Tigers 4-2. However, in the second with the switch of sides, FHSU recorded 11 shots to just one for the Lopers.

After another 90 minutes of scoreless play, the Tigers headed to extra time for a third straight match. This was the first overtime win of the season for the Tigers.

After Hirsch attempted a game-high five shots on the day, her final attempt was the most important. In the 93rd minute of play, Perkins slipped behind a Loper defender to find Hirsch waiting near the goal. A quick pass from Perkins found the foot of Hirsch who pushed it past Nebraska-Kearney goalkeeper Ali Hirschmann to give the Tigers their second win of the season. This was Hirsch's first goal of her junior campaign, while Perkins captured her second assist for the season.

Megan Kneefel captured her second win of the season to mirror her team's record at 2-2-2 following two saves on the day, advancing her season total to 35. Hirschmann took the loss in her first appearance this season, playing the second half and the overtime period for UNK.

Fort Hays State travels to Topeka to take on Washburn in its final non-conference match of the season. Game time is set for 6 p.m. on Friday. The Tigers open up MIAA play following that contest with Emporia State on the road on at 2 p.m. on Sunday.