TOPEKA – Hoping to avoid a fourth-straight overtime match, the Fort Hays State women's soccer team took on Washburn in Topeka on Friday for their final non-conference contest of the season. While extra time was not needed, the Tigers were unable to get ahead of the Ichabods as they fell 3-1. With the loss, Fort Hays State dropped to 2-3-2 this season, while Washburn sits 4-3. 

Through the first 45 minutes, neither the Tigers nor the Ichabods gained advantage over the other. Play remained even in the first half with both teams recording four shots, but none found the back of the net.

The second half was more offensively driven for both teams with the Tigers and Ichabods once again equalizing shot attempts with eight apiece. However, three Washburn attempts resulted goals. Mackenzie Heiman got the Ichabods on the board first as she earned her second goal of the season in the 59th minute. Less than one minute later Ellie Karloff put Washburn up 2-0 with her first goal of 2018 in the 60th minute. The scoring for the Ichabods commenced in the 71st minute as Tera Lynch achieved her second goal for the season to add to the Washburn lead at 3-0.

Jordan Thompson scored the first goal of her Tiger career in the 82nd minute to help Fort Hays State avoid a shutout. The Ichabods maintained their advantage in the closing minutes to take the 3-1 victory.

Both the Tigers and Ichabods ended the match with 12 shot attempts, Washburn with six shots on goal as opposed to four by Fort Hays State. Washburn claimed the fouls column as they were called for 14, compared to just six for the Tigers.

Much like shot attempts, the teams mirrored each other with three saves in the game. Whitney Bockover earned the win on 12 shots faced and improved her season record to 2-0. Megan Kneefel took the loss for the Tigers and dropped to 2-3-2 on the season. She ended the match with one save. Deonna Wellbrock played her first minutes this season, capturing two saves.

The Tigers open up MIAA play on Sunday when they travel to Emporia State, a team they have already seen this year in a match that concluded in a 1-1 tie. That contest is slated for 2 p.m.