Updated at 8:30 p.m.

A report of shots fired at Walmart, 4301 Vine, appears to be an accidental discharge, according to Hays Police Chief Don Scheibler.

Scheibler said outside the store tonight that Ellis County dispatch received multiple calls at 6:48 p.m. of shots fired inside the store and people running from the store.

“Officers from the Hays Police Department, Ellis County Sheriff’s Department and Kansas Highway Patrol responded to the active shooter-type situation. We got up here and learned that no one was injured,” Scheibler said.

At least one shot was fired inside the store, he said.

“At this time it appears to be an accidental discharge. We’re still sorting through that. We have two people detained for the investigation,” the chief said.

Jessica Molnar was looking at Valentine’s Day candy near the bicycles when she heard a single shot.

She said she grabbed her children and pulled them around a corner

“I physically grabbed them, took them around the corner. My daughter said ‘Was that a table falling?’

“I said ‘No that was a gunshot,” Molnar said.

“I have shot guns before, so I know what a gunshot sounds like,” she said in a phone interview from her home.

“I was listening for more commotion and I didn’t hear anything, but there was another couple in the aisle with me,” she said.

“As we were kind of creeping toward the front of the store another mom with her husband and kids said ‘There’s a guy back there with a gun’,” Molnar said.

“That was enough for me,” she said.

She told her children to get out of the store as fast as they could and she dropped the items she had planned on purchasing.

“About 20 of us were running out of the store at the same time,” she said.

Kelsey Brin, Plainville, was just checking out with her purchases as police came and handcuffed a woman who appeared to be in her 40s, Brin told The Hays Daily News. She said people behind her abandoned their carts and left the store. The woman who was handcuffed was removed from the store.

The store has been closed until authorities have processed the scene and it is safe. Officers are going through the store and making announcements to find anyone who might be in hiding in the store.

“After that we’ll let the store open back up. We do ask that people stay out of the area. It gives us the opportunity to get the scene cleared up,” Scheibler said.

“It was probably the scariest five seconds of my life,” Molnar said.

She said while her family does have guns in their home, she does not conceal-carry.

“I might start now. When you have your kids with you, that’s scary,” she said.