The Hays City Commission approved a design supplement that will allow the city to begin negotiations on acquiring rights of way and easements for the North Vine Street Corridor project that would construct three roundabouts.
The design supplement was approved by a 3 to 1 vote at Thursday night's regular meeting. Mayor Henry Schwaller was the lone no vote, saying he does not support the project as designed. Commissioner Sandy Jacobs was absent.
The nearly $50,000 cost of the design supplement will come from the Convention and Visitors Bureau contingency fund.
In other action at Thursday night’s meeting, commissioners:
• Voted 4-0 to adopt a parks improvement policy that will outline the criteria for how amenities are prioritized and funded by outside agencies.
• Voted 4-0 to abolish several boards and committees. Those include the Airport Advisory Committee, Building Trades Board, Fort Hays Municipal Golf Course Advisory Board and the Hays Beautification Committee.
• Accepted the 2018 audit by Adams, Brown, Began and Ball.
• Approved mayoral appointments of Louis Caplan and Rich Sieker to the Hays Area Board of Zoning Appeals, Caplan to the Hays Area Planning Commission, Amy Feauto to the Hays Public Library Board and Reese Barrick to the Hays Convention and Visitors Bureau Advisory Committee.
• Wished Assistant City Manager Jacob Wood good luck in his appointment as deputy city manager in Salina. He starts the job at the end of the month.
Watch for further stories with more information on Thursday's meeting at HDNews.net.