Shaun Musil said Thursday he was surprised when he found out the Hays business that he co-owns with his wife, Heather, was being honored by the state of Kansas.
Paisley Pear Wine Bar, Bistro and Market, is one of eight small businesses around the state being recognized as an existing 2020 Kansas Small Businesses of the Year.
The award is bestowed by the Kansas Small Business Development Center, which will host the businesses at the state Capitol in Topeka on Thursday, March 5.
Every year, eight regional Kansas SBDC offices nominate their existing, emerging and exporting businesses of the year.
This year’s nominees were selected from more than 2,400 businesses that received advising services from the Kansas SBDC in 2019. Those nominated will be recognized at the annual E3 Small Business Awards ceremony.
"The selected businesses were chosen through careful consideration by our Kansas SBDC regional directors and advisors," said Greg Panichello, Kansas SBDC state director.
"Collectively, the Kansas SBDC team believes these 18 small businesses are excellent examples of small businesses that have learned to adapt and succeed in challenging times," he said.
The businesses, listed with their locations and owners:
Existing businesses of the year
• Paisley Pear Wine Bar, Bistro and Market, Hays, owned by Shaun and Heather Musil
• The Sweet Granada, Emporia, owned by Kim Redeker
• Blue Valley Physical Therapy, Overland Park, owned by Ann Todd-Cooper and Ryan Klusman
• Young Sign Company, Leavenworth, owned by Ann and John Hoins
• ADI Inc., Chanute, owned by Merrill and Wendy Cunningham
• Dodge City Brewing, Dodge City, owned by Larry and Sheri Cook
• Connie’s Mexico Café, Wichita, owned by Carmen Renteria, Adele Jordan, and Carla Rosales-Banuelos
• The Marie Antoinette Gluten Free Baking Co., Wathena, owned by Rani Navarro-Force and Shawn Force
Emerging business of the year
• EMP Shield LLC, Burlington, owned by Timothy Carty
• Mind Sculpt Games LLC, Great Bend, owned by Darcy Leech
• LC BioPlastics LLC, Prairie Village, owned by Paul Black
• Julie Bear Don’t Walk Acupuncture + Integrative Health, Lawrence, owned by Julie Bear Don’t Walk
• Smallville CrossFit, Fort Scott, owned by Aaron and Lindsey Watts
• The Red Rock Experience & Venue, Ulysses, owned by Tammy Lane-Reese and Jessica Reese
• Ember Technology, LLC, Wichita, owned by Jonathan Sanchez and Tariq Azmi
• Anneal Initiative Inc., Topeka, owned by Amy Billinger, Jeremy Jackson and Jennie Jackson
Exporting businesses of the year
• SkuTouch Solutions, LLC, Lenexa, owned by Doug and Terry Obershaw
• Progressive Products, Inc., Pittsburg, owned by Todd Allison
For more information on the Kansas SBDC, contact Panichello at 785-296-6514 or visit www.kansassbdc.net.