The Department of Water Resources, in partnership with the Ellis County Extension Master Gardeners, is seeking nominations for the 2020 WaterSmart Landscape Award Program.
Since 2016, one residential and one commercial property has been chosen to receive a WaterSmart Landscape Award. The goal of this award program is to increase awareness of the importance of water conservation in the landscape and to recognize those in the community that have made great strides towards that effort.
A WaterSmart Landscape involves more than just watering plants correctly - it is actually the combination of several gardening principles that together create a landscape that not only conserves water but is creative and beautiful as well. The principles of a WaterSmart Landscape
1) Planning and Design
2) Soil Preparation
3) Right Plants in the Right Place
4) Practical Turf Areas
5) Efficient Irrigation
6) Proper Mulch
7) Proper Maintenance
• Landscape must exemplify WaterSmart Landscaping
• The nominee must be within the city limits of Hays, KS
• The selected WaterSmart Landscape must be visible to the Public
• The WaterSmart Landscape must have been installed at least one year prior to nomination to show healthy establishment and proper care.
Nomination forms can be found at www.watersmarthays.com . Submit nominations no later than June 12, 2020 to Holly Dickman, Water Conservation Specialist, 1002 Vine St., Hays, KS 67601 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Finalists will be contacted to schedule an on-site visit.
Winners will be notified by July 6th and will be presented with a landscape plaque and a certificate during a regularly scheduled Hays City Commission meeting in July.