WICHITA — Former Kansas State basketball player Amaad Wainright sped away from police at 100 mph after he was initially stopped following a road-rage shooting that involved his car on Jan. 17 in Overland Park, according to a Johnson County court affidavit obtained by The Kansas City Star.

Wainright has been charged with two felonies: obstructing law enforcement and fleeing or attempting to flee from police.

According to the affidavit, an Overland Park police officer spotted a white 2004 Pontiac Bonneville, matching the description of a vehicle believed to be involved in a reported shooting earlier that day, leaving Oak Park Mall around 6:55 p.m. The officer stopped the car on southbound U.S. Highway 69 past 95th Street and the driver put his hands out of the window, as asked, but drove away after he was asked to turn the car off.

The police officer pursued the Pontiac south on U.S. 69 and east on Interstate 435 as the car weaved in and out of traffic and traveled in excess of 100 mph, according to the affidavit. She terminated the chase.

Police discovered the Pontiac was registered to Wainright. The officer reviewed her in-car video and found the driver had tattoos on the back of his hands similar to Wainright’s. She also said Wainright’s Missouri driver’s license photo was similar to the driver, but she could not make a positive identification. Police went to the address associated with Wainright’s driver’s license and found the Pontiac there but no one answered the door.

On Jan. 23, Overland Park police obtained video from Oak Park Mall that showed Wainright park his car at the mall and exit the vehicle with three occupants.

On Jan. 26, Overland Park police contacted the K-State Police Department. The affidavit says K-State police spoke with Wainright, who said he “sped off and ran from the police” after he was stopped on Jan. 17 and went home after he got away.

The affidavit contains Wainright’s account of the shooting. He said he was driving his car when a high school friend named Trevon Barr shot at another vehicle on I-435. Wainright said the other car had cut him off and slammed on the brakes in front of him.

He said Barr was in the front right seat of his vehicle. Wainright said Barr told him that the other driver reached for something, so Barr pulled out a black pistol and fired a shot at the other car as Wainright drove beside it.

Wainright said there was a third passenger in the car, according to the affidavit. That person, who has not been charged, told police he did not see the gun, did not see Barr shoot at anyone and did not notice road rage.

No one was injured in the shooting, but a bullet hole was left in the other car. The other driver estimated $1,191 worth of damage to his car.

Barr, 23, of Kansas City, was charged in Johnson County District Court with aggravated assault, discharging a firearm into a motor vehicle and criminal damage to property.

Wainright, who was suspended indefinitely by K-State following his arrest April 3, announced his departure from the K-State basketball team last week after spending one season with the Wildcats. He played in 36 games, averaging 2.8 points and 2.3 rebounds as a reserve. A Kansas City native, he transferred to K-State last summer from Trinity Valley Community College in Athens, Texas. He is the younger brother of Ishmail Wainright, a former Baylor standout.

K-State granted Wainright a scholarship release on Friday.